Thursday, July 17, 2008

Dumb question

How is it that when we become parents of teenagers, we all of a sudden can no longer communicate like normal people? Case in point...today, Trenton was over at a friend's house in the neighborhood. He called to say that another friend had invited him to come over and swim. I told him that would be alright, but as soon as I hung up the phone, I was asked by my wife if he was coming home to change into his swim trunks. I had admittedly forgotten to ask that question and since he is not currently in possession of a cell phone (which is a COMPLETELY different blog topic) I was unable to call him back.

About an hour later he called to check in. Gena answered the phone and apparently her mind went into one of those ignorant parent-of-a-teenager modes because she asked the boy, "Trenton, what are you swimming in?" Okay, I must admit I had no odd thoughts about this question and considered it a valid one. The child on the other end of the line, however, simply commented, "Ummm...a pool." Drat, he got us again!

1 comment:

Stolle said...

OK, this actually did make me LOL